Published: June 17, 2005
Last Updated: 2010-12-22
- Guard1 Plus versions: 2.0x, 2.5x, 2.60, 2.7x, 2.8x, 3.x
- Guard1 Plus SE versions: 4.12, 4.20, 4.30, 4.40
When opening Guard1 Plus
When previewing or printing Guard1 Plus reports
When trying to run a Guard1 Plus SE configuration or maintenance wizard
You receive the following error:
- -429: ActiveX component can't create object
The error may be preceded by -1 CrypKey is not initialized.
- If the error occurs at program launch:
- Guard1 Plus was installed using a non-Local Administrator account, or an Administrator account that is restricted by Group Policy.
- Guard1 Plus was installed using a Local Administrator account, but after restarting the PC you logged in with a non-Administrator account.
- You are printing or previewing reports and there are multiple instances of the MS Word process Winword.exe running in memory.
- You have recently updated Windows or Microsoft Office via Windows Update or Microsoft Update, and files affecting how Guard1 Plus accesses MS Word have changed.
- You are attempting to run Guard1 Plus SE setup wizards and you do not have the Local Client installed.
If the error occurs at program launch:
- Log in to Windows as a Local Administrator and launch the program. If the error does not recur when logged in as Local Administrator, assign the following minimum required permissions to all User Accounts that will be using Guard1 Plus:
- "Modify" permissions to the product installation folder (C:\Program Files\Guard1 Plus or C:\TimeKeeping Systems\Guard1 Plus) and all sub-folders
- "Full" permissions to the Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\TimeKeeping Systems Inc. (32-bit) or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\TimeKeeping Systems Inc. and all sub-keys
- If the error recurs when logged in as Local Administrator, uninstall/reinstall Guard1 Plus.
If the error occurs when printing or previewing reports:
- You can preview only one report at a time. You must close all open MS Word windows before attempting to preview another report. Verify that all MS Word windows are closed, then try again.
- If all MS Word windows are closed and you still receive the error:
- Open Windows Task Manager by right-clicking your Taskbar and clicking Task Manager, or by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL on your keyboard.
- Click the Processes tab.
- Click the Name column header to sort the process list alphabetically.
- Check for one or more processes named Winword.exe. If any are present, highlight each and select End Process, the Yes. After all Winword.exe processes are ended, try to print or preview the report again.
- If the problem persists, it may be due to a problem with your MS Office installation. Refer to Microsoft KB Article 188546 for more information. It is also recommended that you update your MS Office installation to the latest service pack and patch level.
If the error occurs when you try to run a Guard1 Plus SE configuration or maintenance wizard, verify that you have installed the Guard1 Plus SE Local Client on the workstation where you're running the wizard. The Local Client installation provides the DLL and OCX files necessary to run the configuration and maintenance wizards. NOTE: If you have installed the Network Client you must uninstall it and install the Local Client instead. Refer to the Guard1 Plus SE Administrators Manual for more information.