Published: June 28, 2006
Last Updated: 2009-12-18
- Guard1 Plus versions: 2.0x, 2.5x, 2.60, 2.7x, 2.8x, 3.x
When opening Guard1 Plus
When opening the Attendant
You receive the following error:
- Attendant.exe has generated an error and will be closed by Windows
- Another application on the system is trying to access the same COM port used by the Downloader
- There is a problem with the Downloader or its data cable
- There is a problem with the Guard1 Plus installation
- There is a problem with the serial or USB port the Downloader is connected to
Several applications/devices are know to cause this problem because they perform repetitive polling of all available COM ports while waiting for their associated device to be connected. This blocks the Attendant from communicating with the Downloader. Known applications:
- Palm HotSync
- Blackberry Desktop Manager
- Microsoft ActiveSync
- Kodak EasyShare
- APC PowerChute (monitoring utility for APC uninterruptible power supply)
- Sprint Mobile Broadband - the Sprint Wireless AirCard uses multiple COM ports in range 1-8.
- X10 Camera service X10nets.exe - reserves exclusive access to COM ports 4-10. May be present on system even if X10 Camera software has been uninstalled.
If you have any of these or similar applications running, shut each one down, then restart Guard1 Plus and the Attendant.
If the error recurs, disconnect the Downloader's data cable from the PC. Restart Guard1 Plus. If the error does not recur with the cable disconnected, contact Technical Support.
If the error recurs, uninstall/reinstall Guard1 Plus.
If the error persists after reinstalling Guard1 Plus, there may be a problem with the serial port or USB port on your PC. If you are using a serial cable and have a USB cable from TimeKeeping Systems, try switching to the USB cable. If you are using a TimeKeeping Systems USB cable and have an available serial port on the PC, try switching to the serial cable.
If you are unable to switch cables, contact Technical Support.