Technical Bulletin 20190802
Last Updated: 2019-08-02
- Guard1 Real Time versions: 6.x with Android or iOS licenses
Addendum to minimum system requirements, and information about our mobile device update process
Minimum System Requirements - Addendum
The following items have been added to the minimum system requirements for Guard1 Real Time when employing mobile devices. Existing mobile device users must review their systems and implement necessary changes to comply with the additional requirements.
- Internet Connectivity for MDM. TimeKeeping Systems manages your mobile devices for you via Mobile Device Management (MDM). Manage Engine is our MDM provider. For updates or other administrative tasks, we require connectivity to the Internet while your mobile devices are charging. If this will be a different WiFi SSID and passphrase, we will need that information for device configuration.
- Network Time Protocol. Your facility relies on time accuracy of the well-being check and activity documentation Guard1 Real Time provides. This in turn requires a correct time setting on any mobile devices you employ. For this reason, an NTP service or suitable equivalent must be available to mobile devices on your WiFi network.
Information About Mobile Device Updates
There are multiple components to the software running on your mobile devices. This section explains these different components and how we handle updates when they become available.
- Operations. Updates may mean your individual devices or your Guard1 Real Time system will be unavailable. Although this is typically a short period, you should plan how you want users to manage updates on their devices.
- Android. Android OS updates are made available by Google and gated by us through our Mobile Device Management (MDM) system. When an update is available, your users will be notified and must approve the update. Users can defer the update for up to fifteen days, after which the update occurs without user interaction. Users should log out before updating. While updating, the device is out of service. After updating, theGuard1 Real Time application must be restarted.
- Manufacturer. For CAT S41 devices, when an update is available, your users will be notified and must approve the update. Manufacturer updates are infrequent, typically a few times per year. Users should log out before updating. While updating, the device is out of service. After updating, the Guard1 Real Time application must be restarted.
- MDM Client. TimeKeeping Systems controls the timing of MDM Client updates. MDM updates will typically be pushed out at 2:00 AM on Tuesday morning. MDM updates are often associated with Android updates. During MDM updates, the device is taken out of kiosk mode. Devices should not be used during MDM updates. We recommend updating while the mobile devices are out of service, for example in a recharging area.
End of file