How to return equipment for repair (obtain an RMA)
Last Updated: 2019-03-13
- Readers: The PIPE, PIPE II, Stubby PIPE
- Downloaders: IP, USB
- Barcode products: ACM-II
You need to return a hardware item for evaluation and repair.
Obtaining an RMA
You must obtain a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) for each shipment of hardware items BEFORE you ship your equipment to TimeKeeping Systems. Shipments received without an RMA are subject to a $25 handling fee.
Before contacting us to obtain an RMA, please gather as much information as possible about each piece of equipment you are returning and the problem(s) you are having.
- Have you tried all the steps in the Troubleshooting section of PIPE Usage and Troubleshooting?
- The PIPE serial number (the 6-character code found on the button read tip).
- When you scan a button with the PIPE:
- Does the PIPE beep?
- Does the scan LED blink?
- When you place the PIPE in the Downloader:
- Does it download successfully?
- Does Guard1 Plus or the Downloader display any error messages? If so, please provide the full text of each error.
- NOTE: Skip this step if your PIPE serial number begins with "A" or "B", or if you do not have Direct Downloader. Place the PIPE in the Direct Downloader. Press and hold the gray button below the power LED on the Downloader and note the color of the Test LED. Is it green or red?
Click here for a printable form you can give to your PIPE users to collect this information.
- Have you tried all the steps to resolve the problem in Downloader Troubleshooting?
- Does the problem occur with all PIPEs or only one?
- The full text of all error messages displayed by Guard1 Plus (if any).
- The type of Downloader (IP, USB).
- The Downloader serial number (found on the label on the bottom of the Downloader).
- The serial number of the ACM-II.
- Description of the problem you are having.
After you have gathered this information, please send it to us to obtain an RMA:
- By logging in to our Website and using the online RMA Request (recommended method)
- By email: email@example.com (or to firstname.lastname@example.org in Europe)
- By fax: 216-595-0991 (or +32 3 285 95 79 in Europe)
- By phone: 216-595-0695 (or +32 3 285 95 70 in Europe)
After receiving your information we will generate an RMA and send you an RMA Instructions document. This document contains:
- Your shipping address information. Please verify this information and write necessary changes on the form. Your equipment will be shipped back to this address, so it's important that it is correct.
- A space to write a billing address if you want your invoice sent somewhere other than the shipping address.
- Pre-approval instructions. Pre-approving repair charges and other options will speed up the processing of your RMA. Pre-approval is NOT required; if you do not pre-approve the repair options, we will contact you for instructions when the evaluation of the equipment is complete.
- Your RMA Number. Please refer to this number when contacting us about your RMA.
- The TimeKeeping Systems address you will ship your items to.
- A list of the items you are sending back.
- A list of standard repair charges. All repair charges include return shipping.
- Instructions for packing your equipment for safe shipment. All items should be securely packaged to prevent damage in transit. TimeKeeping Systems is NOT responsible for in-transit damages, and we recommend you insure your shipment appropriately.
When you receive your RMA Instructions document:
- Print Page 1.
- Verify and correct your shipping address as necessary.
- Complete the pre-approval options as desired.
- Make a copy of the page and place it in the box with your items.
- Ship your items to the TimeKeeping Systems address shown at the bottom of Page 1.
You should retain the shipment tracking number provided by your shipper for use in the event of a problem with the shipment.
When we receive your package:
- We will inventory the contents and compare them to the RMA item list. We will notify you via email (if you have provided an email address) that we received your package and confirm the contents inventory.
- We will evaluate your equipment. We make every effort to complete this process within two business days of receiving your items; however, if you have sent back more than five items the evaluation process may take longer.
- After evaluating your hardware we will proceed according to your pre-approval instructions. If you did not indicate your pre-approval preferences, we will contact you with the results of the evaluation to request your instructions.
- If you have pre-approved the repairs, or after we have received your repair instructions, we will complete the repairs and ship the items back to you within two business days. Items will be shipped to you via the same method that you used to ship them to us (e.g. Ground or Next Day).
- An invoice for the repair charges (if any) will be sent to you.