Add Devices Wizard "Not responding" in Windows Task Manager
Last Updated: 2010-02-23
- Guard1 Plus versions: 2.06, 2.5x, 2.60, 2.7x, 3.x
When you launch the Add Devices Wizard, no activity occurs except a brief hourglass cursor. Windows Task Manager shows Guard1 Plus on the Applications tab with status of "Not responding".
- Guard1 Plus was installed using a non-Administrator user account
- Conflicting software is installed on the PC
Launch the Add Devices Wizard, then open Windows Task Manager by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL on your keyboard or by right-clicking the Taskbar and selecting Task Manager. In Task Manager, click the Applications Tab. If Guard1 Plus is shown as "Running" or "Not responding", highlight it and select Switch To. Sometimes this returns an error that will help identify the cause of the problem.
If the issue persists, uninstall/reinstall Guard1 Plus. Note: you must use a Local Administrator account to install the software, and you must restart the PC and log in with the Local Administrator account after the installation.
If the issue persists it may be due to the presence of a conflicting application on the system. To determine if there is another application that uses CrypKey licensing on the PC:
- Open My Computer.
- Navigate to C:\Windows (or C:\WINNT).
- Double-click the file CKConfig.exe.
- Click OK at the "Changes will not take effect..." dialog box.
- At the NT Server Configure window, you should see C:\Program Files\Guard1 Plus or C:\TimeKeeping Systems\Guard1 Plus in the list. If there are any other program paths in the list, please write down the full path(s) and call Technical Support. If Guard1 Plus is not listed, perform a clean uninstall/reinstall of Guard1 Plus.