Open topic with navigation
Attendant unresponsive on Windows 7
Last Updated: 2013-09-05
- Guard1 Plus versions: 2.80, 2.81
Windows 7 users may experience one or more of the following issues with Attendant when using the TimeKeeping Systems USB cable and Direct Downloader:
- Attendant is unresponsive at launch
- Guard1 Plus is unresponsive at launch
- Attendant successfully downloads one or more times, then becomes unresponsive
Related issues when Attendant is unresponsive:
- Context menu items (Add Devices Wizard, Clear, Beep, etc.) are grayed out.
- Attempting to create an Archive or Backup using the Data Maintenance Wizard will return error There is no space available <Path>.
Rebooting may resolve the issue temporarily. No error messages or Event Log entries are returned.
The unresponsive behavior does not occur when using the Serial cable.
- Multiple active User sessions.
- The driver for the Prolific USB-to-Serial adapter is the incorrect version. Windows 7 sometimes installs an inappropriate driver version.
- An issue with the way DLPIPE32.OCX handles communications with the Prolific USB-to-Serial adapter driver.
- Hardware incompatibility - the Direct Downloader is a maintenance product designed for use with earlier versions of Windows and may not work consistently with Windows 7.
Verify that only one User Account is logged in to the PC. Multiple active User sessions (which occur when using the Switch User command instead of the Log Off command) may result in multiple running instances of Attendant.exe, causing a conflict with the active User session's instance. Using the Log Off command instead of the Switch User command is strongly recommended. NOTE: Rebooting the PC resolves this issue because all User Accounts are shut down due to the reboot.
Confirm Prolific USB driver version
Confirm that the correct version of the Prolific USB-to-Serial COM Port driver is installed:
- Right-click My Computer and select Manage.
- In the left column, under System Tools, click Device Manager.
- In the right column, expand the Ports (COM & LPT) folder. There should be an entry for Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM#).
- Right-click Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM#) and select Properties.
- Click the Driver tab.
- Note the Driver Version:
- For 32-bit Windows 7 the Driver Version should be 188.8.131.52
- For 64-bit Windows 7 the Driver Version should be 184.108.40.206
- Click Cancel.
- If the Driver Version in Step 6 was correct, close Computer Management and continue to next section Use the Serial Cable. If the Driver Version was not correct, continue to Step 9.
- In the Device Manager Ports (COM & LPT) folder, right-click Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM#) and select Update Driver Software.
- Click Browse my computer for driver software.
- Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
- In the list of drivers, highlight the driver with the correct version number for your Windows version (see Step 6).
- Click Next. Windows will install the correct driver version.
- When the process is complete, click Close.
- Repeat Steps 4 through 7 to confirm the correct driver version is now loaded. If it is not, repeat Steps 9 through 15. If the correct version is loaded, continue to Step 16.
- Close Computer Management.
- Start Guard1 Plus and monitor the Attendant's performance.
If the problem is not resolved, see section Use the Serial Cable.
Use the Serial Cable
If a serial port is available on the PC, use the included Serial cable to connect the Direct Downloader to the PC. Follow the steps in Adding a Downloader to add the Downloader to Guard1 Plus. No further action is necessary.
If no serial port is available, see next section Install Hotfix.
If the Prolific driver version is correct and no serial port is available, a Hotfix has been created that may resolve the issue.
- Log in to the Guard1 Plus PC as a Local Administrator.
- Download the Hotfix setup file (OCXHotfix20120413.exe) to a folder on the Guard1 Plus PC.
- Close Guard1 Plus and Attendant.
- Open Computer and browse to the folder where you downloaded the Hotfix setup file in step 1.
- Double-click the file OCXHotfix20120413.exe. Click Yes at the UAC prompt if it appears.
- Follow the prompts to install the new OCX file. Click Finish when the process is complete.
- Launch Attendant and monitor its behavior.
If the problem continues after performing all the above steps, you may have to purchase a USB Downloader to replace your Direct Downloader. Please contact Technical Support.
Copyright © 2013-2016 TimeKeeping Systems, Inc.
Open topic with navigation